Aller au contenu

Actu Conan S4 #20, A tale from Nemedia #3

Messages recommandés

2cd2e2ecbc668e7c8762e2142580247d_origina
Publié par Adnane

external_link.png?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&auto=co Afficher sur Kickstarter  

The king of the heather had been warned: invoking the Worms of the Earth would bring only darkness and ruin. But to protect his people–to spit back in the eye of Rome–what else was Bran Mak Morn to do? Having lost his grip on the Black Stone, he no longer held dominion over the burrowing, subterranean fiends. Now a rumor suggests the Worms have a new master–a vile sorcerer who commands the dead as well as these horrors of a lost epoch. Bran knows he must again appeal to these creatures to keep Roman legions out of his lands, and to do so, requires the Black Stone. With the repulsive witch, Atla, at his side, as well as two trusted warriors, he must return to Dagon’s Mere, secure the stone, and send this necromancer screaming to the depths of Hell!

Sword Brethren,

Thus begins the first scenario in our three-part campaign, dedicated to a lesser known barbarian king. No, not Kull. Howard’s other barbarian king.

0a46054d17d3383ab76728da7ce5f3b9_origina

I’ve long wondered what happened to Bran Mak Morn after the events of Howard’s ‘Worms of the Earth’. As someone who’s gone on record several times (on the Rogues in the House Podcast), saying that WotE is my favorite of Howard’s yarns, I couldn’t resist the temptation to bring Bran Mak Morn into the best Conan game on the market.

878b5f8c08307e4b642ad402f9e2d3e8_origina
Art by Carlos Amaral.

That said, I’m not a huge fan of direct adaptation, preferring instead to adopt the vibe, aesthetic, and characters, but push them forward to places players might not expect. I should probably reveal, then, that this expansion serves as a sequel to Worms of the Earth and is not an emulation or adaptation of the original story first published in Weird Tales in 1932. I believe these 3 scenarios: The Black Stone, The Grim Altar, and Back to the Earthcapture the bleak themes and bloody consequences of Howard’s horrific tale of a king who’s run out of options.

4565f454952eefa00a21a1de68034cfe_origina
Art by Carlos Amaral.

I also wanted to keep this expansion small, so the price could remain low. To me, this add-on feels like a gamble. Everyone knows who Conan is, and will be tempted by the offerings dedicated to him and his world–but perhaps a reasonably priced expansion could draw fresh eyes to Howard’s other works. And so, I encourage you, fellow gamers, to give this one a chance.

c17bf413bce08990d57f9f0e88e0f59a_origina

I decided early-on that this add-on should have a low entry fee. All you need is the Core Conan game and the Stretch Goal box. That meant making some creative choices which would invoke a wholly different setting, one of Roman expansion. In the scenarios you’ll find Picts, a fortress, mercenaries, a swamp, and foreboding ruins. 4 new character sheets represent Bran Mak Morn, the witch Atla, and two of Bran’s most trusted warriors, Picts named Othna and Grom, which utilize the Pict Warrior and Pict Archer minis. While we don’t have any Roman troops–again we wanted to keep the price low–I have found some creative ways to make this expansion feel like it should. Take for example Commander Drusus. His art and miniature looks akin to a Spartan warrior. Though that isn’t exactly Roman, it’s in the ballpark and his aesthetic seems to fit with the setting of this story, especially since the armor he’s wearing is from a long-dead Spartan king.

a1eac7c074d0150bc8ee7ff88612e816_origina

The 3 scenarios in the booklet create a narrative whole, which includes progressive elements like our other Solo/Coop campaigns. If Solo/co-op play is your jam, I believe this little expansion will add a lot in a small package. Besides, who doesn’t want to use Bran Mak Morn’s Hero sheet in other solo/co-op campaigns?!

c69bd218f3e1ded047054185e1aba1fd_origina

Keep your swords sharp!

Matthew John

• J'aime 2

• Renand a modifié le titre en Actu Conan S4 #20, A tale from Nemedia #3